An entire village in organic! In the middle of Germany's wild east, at the National Park Saxon Switzerland, there is Schmilka, a district of Bad Schandau. Small half-timbered houses with quaint guesthouses are situated submontane to the historical mill, where flour is still ground and craft is cultivated in the neighboring organic bakery and brewery manufactory. On the Elbe river are lined up fine hotels and stylish apartments. From the other shore, the historic ferry "Lena" from 1927 passes over.
It is not surprising that this place was given the title "Most beautiful village of Saxony". The “Winterdorf” of Schmilka was also recognized as the "beacon of the tourism industry" for its creative and sustainable concept.
You just have to experience the gem between village culture and nature: for a holiday in the middle of the Elbe Sandstone Mountains, directly on the Malerweg and as an ideal starting point for hiking and climbing in the region.
Schmilka on the Elbe - like out of time ...
At a beneficial break in one of the ecologically renovated houses with different rooms, apartments and holiday flats you can relax very well. Fresh and regional organic cuisine is served in the organic restaurant ‘StrandGut’ and Café Richter at the Elbe river.
How about a treatment or massage from our alternative practitioner? Or you use the panoramic sauna at the ‘Badehaus’ and enjoy the pleasant smell of wood and natural materials. Explore the beautiful surroundings of the Elbe Sandstone Mountains on a hike, bike ride or even by paddle boat. Bicycles and e-bikes can be rented on site. Afterwards, enjoy a hearty meal in the beer garden of the ‘Mühlenhof’ and treat yourself to a refreshing organic beer from the ‘Braumanufaktur Schmilka’. You should bring the evening to a relaxed end with amusing lectures on Schmilka's local history, live music in the ‘Mühlenhof’ or a fun tournament at one of the historic slot machines in the mill.
You easily reach Schmilka by train No. S1 from the direction of Dresden, stop Schmilka-Hirschmühle. Cross with the historic ferry "Lena" from 1924 and the holiday can start. The central reception is located in the Bio & Nationalparkhotel Helvetia.
Schmilka - Description
- 4 hotels, 1 B&B and 4 lodges
- fresh organic food from breakfast until dinner
- 3 restaurants and a beer garden
- own organic manfacturies: brewery, bakery, mull and cake shop
- Schmilk‘sches Badehaus mit Panoramasauna und Ruhebereichen
- own natural healing Center for massages, treatments and bathes
- daily Events and offers like lectures. guides tours, Workshops, culture
- awarded and unique experience centrally located in the Saxon Switzerland
- start and finish of numerous hinking tours in the Region of Schrammsteine, Affensteine, Großem Winterberg or in the Bohemian Switzerland